Wards of Orinach
- Dorothea of Hayll: Has made an official claim for the throne. She argues that she and her family have had ties to the royal family for over a hundred years and therefore are the most fit to take of over now that the queen has past. Her claim does not put Shay in a good position.
- Pater Newman: Chaplain of Castle Orin.
- Lord Glabra Sankt-Wendel: Childhood friend of William’s. Very interested in the prophecies surrounding the Pillar of Arlen.
- Savath Oris of Koresh: Zalanie’s mother’s sister’s daughter. Has a younger brother, Kavil. Resents Zalanie’s position and distance.
- Laon Patrivis: A well-to-do merchant that made frequent business with Zalanie’s family; she has always enjoyed the company of his (adopted) children and his husband made fantastic sweets.
- Lord Chet Arlington: Paranoid as they come. Convinced everyone is plotting to end life as we know it. Is suspicious of Branwen. The Arlington family are the only ones who consider their House to be of the north anyway, small as they are, clinging on to the favour and support of the larger Houses.
- Daphne Solanale: Daughter of Lord Alexis Solanale. The Solanales are a powerful northern family.
- Lady Edella Flement: Cousin to Lord Tomas Kester, Axell’s mother. Very fond of her sweet baby boy.
- Lord Marwen Flement: Axell’s father.
- Marbrand Flement: Axell’s oldest brother.
- Turalf Flement: Axell’s second brother, bitter at Axell for winning a place as Lord Kester’s squire. Axel knows what Turalf was capable of, and he has no doubt that they would be facing each other with a blade one day.
- Lady Chrysanthemum Guinea: Childhood rival of Tesni. Once upon a time, the young duchess had been a wealthy merchant’s daughter, one of the ladies in waiting to Tesni’s own mother. Friends when they were quite small, she and Tesni had grown apart as their interests had diverged, and as Chrysanthemum had found other friends, she had turned increasingly nasty.
- Arkadian d’Ursica: The third son of the Baron of Cymry, had been Tesni’s father’s squire, and is one of her favorite people.
- Lord Myrios: Rumored to be the one who orchestrated Queen Lucia hiding her secret pregnancy (Caspian).
- Lord Hertia: Claims to be a friend to Caspian. Handed him an envelope. Upon reading the message within, Caspian threw it in the fire.